At FIT CHICKS Academy we love seeing students and grads in the Fitness & Nutrition Expert Program (FNE) in action, creating their own fierce workouts and healthy recipes.
Today we are thrilled to share this recipe for you from soon to be Certified Fitness & Nutrition Expert Lisa Savage.
Lisa created this recipe for one of the assignments in the Nutrition Module of the FNE program, and excited to introduce Lisa and her delicious recipe with you. Take it away!
I have a love-hate relationship with fitness. I’ve been overweight for 10 years, and finally three years ago I started exercising to an online fitness subscription, and it became an obsession of mine. However, I wanted to know more about fitness than what was available to me through my subscription so I started to look for certifications. I knew that it elevate my learning, and keep me accountable to my own fitness goals. I found the Fitness & Nutrition Expert Program and I knew it was going to be awesome! It was exactly what I was looking for- a woman’s approach to fitness, being able to run fitnesss groups and personal training, and to top it off, nutrition training. Enrolling in the porgram was a like a no-brainer in my mind.
As a soon-to-be graduate, I’m excited to start my business on my terms, leading the kind of classes that I envisioned through the wellness part of the course and being the example I want to be for my family.
Veg Heavy Stirfry
When I was thinking of a recipe to share with the Fit Chicks Community, I knew I had to share the most simplest recipe I knew. I like simple and fast because as a mom of 2 boys, I don’t have the luxury of time!
One of my favorite meals is a stir-fry, but I didn’t like how the prepared sauces in the grocery stores are full of sugar and added ingredients. When I started learning about healthier eating, I learned to make my own sauces with soy sauce. To make this recipe Complete in 3, I centered the meal around veggies, cooked them in a healthy fat, and added some favorite protein.
I love how this recipe can be made as fast as you want, or with different vegetables, different protein and different sides each time. Depending on my family’s mood, or who is eating it, I can mix and change it up each time.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon water
- Package round steak
- 2 heads broccoli
- Package snowpeas
- Handful green beans
- 3 small bell pepper, red, yellow, orange
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1-2 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon starch
- 2 tsp maple sugar
- Handful bean sprouts (optional)
- Cut up bell pepper in thin slices, cut up broccoli into bite size pieces.
- Dice ginger and garlic and combine with soy sauce, maple sugar and starch in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat up a large saucepan on medium heat.
- Cut up steak in thin slices, add water to saucepan and cook steak until browned. Remove steak from pan. (approx..15 mins)
- Lower heat of pan, add coconut oil. When oil is melted, add broccoli, snow peas, green beans and bell pepper and stir to combine. Sauté for 5 mins, covered, turning the veggies so they don’t burn.
- Add in the sauce and return steak to pan. Combine ingredients, cover, and cook on low for 15 minutes or until desired crispness of vegetables.
- Optional, add bean sprouts in last 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
TIPS TO ALTER IN LIEU OF A DIETARY RESTRICTION
To make this vegan, omit steak and replace with Tofu. You can soak the tofu in the soy sauce to make a stronger flavor. If gluten sensitive, replace soy sauce with Tamari. You can also omit maple sugar, if desired. It is just there to make the dish a little sweet.
TIPS TO SUB AN INGREDIENT TO ALTER THE RECIPE
Any vegetable can be replaced- add carrots, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, asparagus. Whatever your favorite veggie is, swap it in to make a new meal!
MACRONUTRIENT BREAKDOWN PER SERVING (based on 6 servings – not including rice or noodles)
- Protein: 14.8 g
- Total Fat: 6.5 g
- Total Carbohydrate: 10.8 g
Thank you so much for sharing, Lisa!
PS Do you want get CERTIFIED as a Fitness & Nutrition Expert? Our 2018 Spring Program of the Fitness & Nutrition Expert program starts March 28, so download our program brochure here and learn how you start to create your dream life, health & career!