Today FIT CHICKS Academy co-founder is talking about alcohol, and more specifically how to track alcohol in your macros.
If you are unsure about what tracking macros is, essentially you have a caloric goal and a set amount of protein, carbs, and fat to hit each day. Alcohol does have calories, but it doesn’t have any macro nutrients, so what are you or your client supposed to do if you choose to indulge occasionally?
We don’t recommend drinking much, especially on a fat loss plan, but in reality client’s do sometimes, so we need to give them the tools to succeed. And if you are tracking macros, you will notice that alcohol can take up a bunch of them without leaving you feel satisfied, so plan your drinks ahead of time to fit them into your plan.
The trick is to calculate your alcohol calories as either carbs or fats. Carbs have 4 calories per gram and fats have 9 – so depending on your macros you can choose either or a combination.
For example, if a drink has 100 calories, you can:
- Divide 100/4 (4 calories per gram of carbs) = 25 grams of carbs
- Divide 100/9 (9 calories per gram of alcohol) = 11 grams of fats
- Use a combination – ie 5.5 grams of fat and 12.5 grams of carbs
Now remember, this trick only works for alcohol – ie spirits, wine, beer etc. If you are adding non-alcoholic mixers like juice or pop, you will have to add in the macros for those separately!
Comment below if you have any questions 🙂
- Fitness & Nutrition Expert Program: Get certified in fitness, nutrition, wellness & business in 12 weeks! Click to download our brochure. Next program starts March 27 2019.
- Holistic Nutrition Weight Loss Expert: Become a holistic nutrition weight loss expert! Next program starts February 19, 2019. Download our program brochure now!