At FIT CHICKS Academy we love seeing the creativity and hard work of our Fitness & Nutrition Expert Program (FNE) students and grads. Today we are pumped to share this recipe for you from recently Certified Fitness & Nutrition Expert Kelly Hayes! Kelly created this recipe for one of the assignments in the Nutrition Module of the FNE program, and excited to introduce Kelly and her creation!
My name is Kelly Hayes, I live in Victoria BC. I just recently graduated! I currently own a small fitness company that offers Personal Training and Group classes, I have been doing this for 8 years. My business name is currently Tone the Zone Fitness, however I’m planning on rebranding and freshening it up and looking to add a online component to it. Best decision ever made was to get certified through FIT CHICKS Academy as there was just so much information and they cover 4 areas that are so important in fitness.
Ground Turkey Jumbo Shells
I have a very busy home with 4 kids, 2 dogs, 2 hamsters and a lizard…….oh and a husband ☺ I run a small fitness company out of my garage which has been renovated into a gym. Dinner can always be a bit of a gong show with the girls having different activities and also my teaching schedule. These jumbo shells are a great dinner idea that are great to freeze for the week. The kids love them!
The original recipe was with ground pork but I have a step daughter that doesn’t eat pork and ground turkey is a healthier substitution.. I usually serve this with a salad and for a treat garlic bread.
It has all the macronutrients that we need for active kids and adults! You would probably eat between 2 shells so that’s a good amount of protein.
I hope you enjoy!
TOTAL SERVINGS: 20 Shells
TOTAL CALORIES PER SERVING: 188
MACRONUTRIENT BREAKDOWN PER SERVING (INCL FIBRE GRAMS!):
Carbs: 16.6 grams
Fat: 6.9 grams
Protein: 13.4 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
- 20 Jumbo whole wheat pasta shells (gluten free pasta can be substituted)
- 1 lb of ground turkey
- 1 medium onion
- 2 chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp Italian spice
- 2 cups of chopped spinach
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup of whole wheat breadcrumbs (gluten free can be substituted)
- 28 oz can of pasta sauce (May want to add a little more)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups of mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup of Parmesan Cheese
- Cook pasta to al dente, drain and cool.
- Add oil to pan, set to medium heat. Add onion, garlic, Italian spice and then ground turkey. Cook until meat is no longer pink.
- In a bowl, mix breadcrumbs, cheese, eggs, spinach and then add meat.
- In a baking dish, add ½ the pasta sauce on the bottom, then fill jumbo shells with mixture and line up in the baking dish. Once done, pour the rest of the sauce on top, followed by parmesan cheese.
- Cover and cook for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
TIPS TO SUB AN INGREDIENT TO ALTER THE RECIPE
If you are vegetarian, then you can substitute ground turkey with veggie ground beef.
Lactose free mozzarella instead of normal mozzarella.
Gluten Free breads and pasta can be swapped out for pasta or shaved zucchini strands.
Great meal to freeze!
PS Do you want get CERTIFIED as a Fitness & Nutrition Expert? Our 2019 Spring Program of the Fitness & Nutrition Expert program starts March 27th , so download our program brochure here and learn how you start to create your dream life, health & career!