Have you ever noticed that when you aren’t sleeping well throughout the week that your cravings for pizza, chips and candy are through the roof (literally when I do sleep, I am dreaming of pizza!)
Holistic health coaches know the connection between sleep and fat loss is one of the most overlooked area of a healthy lifestyle plan.
In recent years, the studies have shown that not getting enough sleep (less than 7 hours a night) was associated with reductions in the hormones leptin (the appetite suppressant) and elevations in ghrelin (the appetite stimulant). This led to increased hunger and appetite and not surprising, especially an appetite for foods with high-carbohydrate content.
What does that mean in fit chick speak? Less sleep means your hormones are out of whack causing you to have increased cravings for processed and refined foods which is a HUGE no no when trying to successfully lose weight
In addition to that, recent work also indicates that sleep loss may negatively affect glucose tolerance and involve an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. So even if you are eating a balanced diet and real / whole foods, lack of sleep can throw off our blood sugar management (again not good at all for weight loss!)
But how do we get a better sleep?
Most of us are way to overstimulated to get any sleep. We are stressed. On our phones. Distracting with Netflix. Or even needing to take sleeping pills to finally get some rest and / or waking through the night. Getting a great sleep is harder for many of us and our clients than just closing your eyes and thinking of sheep.
Don’t worry – we are here to help. (Watch below to see us breaking down the HOW or keep reading below…)
The best way to get a better sleep is to implement what is called a wind down routine.
Similar to preparing your baby for bed, we have to start preparing our adult bodies and minds to be able to actually let go of the day and rest.
In the Holistic Nutrition Weight Loss Expert Program, we talk a lot about sleep and how to incorporate it into your clients lives, I love this recommendation from one of our Holistic Nutrition Weight Loss Expert Grads, Lauren Y.
She created an approach called “The 3 C’s Wind down Routine”. Try this for the next 7 days and we promise you, you will be heading to sleepy time station quicker than you thought possible
THE 3C’S Wind Down Routine
About 60 min before bed, shut off all electronics and begin this routine in the following order…
- Close the Day : Let go of everything from the day that is on your mind so you can leave it in that day. Write a to do list for the next day, brain dump any ideas in a notebook, write a journal about feelings. Essentially you want to grab a pen and paper and write out EVERYTHING – good or bad- that may be weighing on your mind so you can close up any loops that are open to release the mind from holding onto it
- Cleanse the day: This is where we are going to “wash” away the day. This could be a hot shower or bath, washing your face or being present while brushing your teeth. The act will not only physically relax you to prepare for rest but will signal the habit it is time for bed
- Calm the day: Now we have let go of everything from the day and are physically ready, it it time to calm the body. This is to help make sure you are calm to go to sleep (you can even do this in bed). Try meditation apps, prayer, gratitude journal, reading relaxing books, light yoga or stretching – all in a dimly lit or dark room. This can be anywhere from 3 – 20 minutes. Also make sure your room is dark enough for sleeping with black out curtains or a sleep mask to help you from waking up from light throughout the night
Like we said, try this for 7 days and see how you feel.
By regulating your rest, sleep and stress, you will see huge results not only in your energy and recovery post exercise but with cravings, results and more!
Looking to become a certified Holistic Nutrition & Health Coach? For more info on our upcoming Holistic Nutrition Weight Loss Expert Certification at www.fitchicksacademy.com/hwlebrochure
There is so much opportunity now more than ever so if you have the passion, let’s help you make it happen!
Laura & Amanda
Founders of FIT CHICKS Academy
Want to help support the show?
- Subscribe to us on iTunes and leave a review. Android users can subscribe on Google Play so you never miss an episode!
- Stay in the loop for future podcasts by Clicking here and we will make sure you are the first to know when they are available plus other awesome bonuses too!
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions fitness, nutrition, wellness or business that you would like us to give our 2 cents about!
- Follow us on Facebook!
Laura & Amanda – FIT CHICKS xo
*For informational purposes only. Please consult a physician before starting an exercise program