So you have thought about becoming a certified health coach but have no idea where to start.
Not to worry – in this episode, the we are walking you through the 5 steps to take you right from a passion to finding the right certification to becoming a successful holistic nutrition & health coach in this booming industry so you can stop dreaming and start doing!
What is a Holistic Health Coach?
Health coaching is an incredible, exciting and growing industry that has emerged as a $6 billion service market. There are an estimated 109,000 health coaches and health educators that advise and motivate clients to change unhealthy lifestyle habits including nutrition, wellness, movement and stress management that can help with everything from weight management to preventing potential health conditions like heart attack and type 2 diabetes to changing mindset & motivation.
And there is so much opportunity to make amazing impact and income at the same time. Marketdata estimates the total market is forecast to grow at a 5.4% average annual pace, to $7.85 billion by 2022, with 121,000 coaches practicing.
Show how can you start your journey and get certified? Watch or read the 5 Steps to Becoming a Certified Holistic Nutrition & Health Coach below…
STEP 1: Research health coaching programs
Health coach jobs typically don’t require a bachelor’s degree (hospital and other medical facility jobs do), but most do require some type of certification. Certification programs typically take anywhere from 2 to six months, are much cheaper, and has plenty of options to work in gym, health centres, corporate wellness or start your own business to name a few
Start by asking yourself the following:
- What excites me about health? Is it a holistic approach including nutrition, wellness and lifestyle? Is it meal prepping and making healthy food? Do I love learning about mindset and motivation? There are so many areas but it will help you narrow down where you want to attend
- What type of community do I want to be apart? Is it one that is supportive and I can grow with long term? Do you feel excited? This is a very important piece
- Is the certification accredited and eligible for insurance? Aka is it LEGIT
STEP 2. Select a Program and Get certified
Now you have chosen your program. It is time to put in the work to start your craft.
You want to make sure you are not just studying the theory of health coaching but that you are putting your learning into practice with friends and family so you are really learning the concepts and building your skills and confidence so upon graduation you are ready to rock and start your job or with clients.
- Creating materials like handouts
- Running workshops (ex. How to make balanced green smoothies, how to make probiotic foods, activity challenges, etc)
- Putting together nutrition and lifestyle plans for volunteer clients
- Coaching live on habits based changes
STEP 3: Gather Testimonials and Results
Knowledge is only part of the journey.
While creating the materials above, coaching volunteers, running workshops etc, not only is this amazing to build your confidence but it is going to give you some solid results to use on your resume if looking for a job at an organization or for your website, social media and emails to help you market your services. Make sure to ask your participants, friends and family you have worked with for a written and/or video testimonials, images, reviews on your FB page to help build up your credibility.
STEP 4: Start Your Biz or Get a Job
Now you have your certification, practice and results, you are ready to go!
This is where it’s time to start coaching clients under your own biz (and if you need help in that area, we have got your back as well with our FIT CHICKS Academy Biz Builders Lab!). You can coach clients in person or online starting asap with simple and free tools like Google Hangouts or Zoom for coaching, using Google Docs for materials and email systems like MailChimp.
In terms of finding a job within a company, check online websites such as Indeed.com for job postings or Upwork.com for freelance work.
STEP 5: Continue Learning and Growing
There is so much to learn in this industry. Do you want to take a complimentary certification like becoming a fitness pro or yoga instructor? Maybe specialize in fermenting foods and creating programs for vegans or paleo or keto? Maybe you want to learn NLP or life coaching? The sky is the limit!
It is important to keep learning and growing so you are stay current as well as increasing your skill set to grow your business or career.
At FC Academy, we have a program called FIT CHICKS University to make sure all our grads are always on top of their game each year. It is essential to long term success!
So there are our 5 Steps to Becoming a Certified Holistic Nutrition & Health Coach and we don’t want you to wait another second to going after your goals. For more info on our upcoming Holistic Nutrition Weight Loss Expert Certification at www.fitchicksacademy.com/hwlebrochure
There is so much opportunity now more than ever so if you have the passion, let’s help you make it happen!
Laura & Amanda
Founders of FIT CHICKS Academy
Want to help support the show?
- Subscribe to us on iTunes and leave a review. Android users can subscribe on Google Play so you never miss an episode!
- Stay in the loop for future podcasts by Clicking here and we will make sure you are the first to know when they are available plus other awesome bonuses too!
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions fitness, nutrition, wellness or business that you would like us to give our 2 cents about!
- Follow us on Facebook!
Laura & Amanda – FIT CHICKS xo
*For informational purposes only. Please consult a physician before starting an exercise program