Oh Summer! Action packed with weddings, concerts and BBQ’S which I am super pumped about! I have been tasked with bringing a “healthy yet absolutely delicious” dish to a friend’s BBQ. As you know I have been on a healthy ice cream kick the last little while but with this crazy heat, I am worried about it melting on the way so I have opted for my second addiction right now…kale salad!
Besides having so many awesome health benefits like being high in kick butt cancer fighting anti oxidants & vitamins A, C & K, kale is actually super yummy when prepared properly. It may take a few times of trial and error before you begin your love affair with this gorgeous green but once you do, you won’t look back!
I found a Mediterranean Kale Salad in last month’s edition of Canadian Living and while the original recipe is already “Chick Approved”, I made a few adaptations to meet my tastes. The result was a kale salad that I made 3 days in a row and EVERY person (including 2 picky, non veggie eating roosters) loved!
The Best Kale Salad Ever!
Inspired by Meditteranean Kale Salad in Canadian Living
- 1 bunch of purple kale (can use green or dinosaur too:)
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 medium orange or yellow pepper, in chunks
- 3 baby cucumbers, cut in circles
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1 can of artichokes (packed in water, not marinated)
- 1/2 cup of goat feta cheese, cut in chunks
- 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 – 5 tbsp of good balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves of finely minced garlic
- 1/2 a packet of stevia or 1 tbsp of honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- Mix dressing together and set aside.
- Rip kale leaves off of center stems (the stems are bitter!!). Roll into a cigar shape and chop into thin ribbons. (Note – I found the small the pieces, the better the salad!). After in thin ribbons, wash and massage at the same time to break down the kale.
- Place washed kale into large salad bowl. Chop all remaining veggies into the size you prefer (I like a chunkier salad:) and place in bowl.
- Drain artichokes, chop and add to salad.
- Pour dressing over salad and make sure it is all coated. Allow to marinate for 2 – 24 hours. The dressing helps to soften the kale.
- Prior to serving, add goat feta cheese & enjoy!
- Baby steps! If you really are anti kale, try this salad with baby kale (now available at most grocers). Baby greens are milder in taste and softer than their mama’s so it is a great introduction for these greens.
- Try different varieties of kale. Green, purple, dinosaur and more..there are so many types to give some love too so be open to try new things.
- Serve with a protein. With an awesome mix of healthy fats & fibre, make this salad a complete meal by adding grilled shrimp, sliced chicken or quinoa for my veggie chicks 🙂
PS – Get certified as Holistic Health Coach in as little as 60 Days ! Download our program brochure here and learn how you start to create your dream life, health & career!
*For informational purposes only. Please consult a physician before starting an exercise or nutrition program