Hey Chicks, At FIT CHICKS Academy we love seeing the creativity and hard work of our Fitness & Nutrition Expert Program (FNE) students and grads. Today we are pumped to share this recipe with you from recently Certified Fitness & Nutrition Expert Toni Allen! Toni created this recipe for one of the assignments in the Nutrition Module of the FNE program. We are excited to introduce Toni and her creation!
My name is Toni (Yolanda) Allen. I completed the FNE program in September 2019. I am a Fitness and Wellness Coach for Women and I believe Wellness is more than one aspect of life and I want to help Women make the Mental shift needed to explore their very own desires.
I took the FNE program to gain the knowledge behind fitness to assist my own lifestyle shift and to also transition into the space of Women’s Wellness. Being more than just food and working out. I am a huge believer in Mindset before doing anything, and finding ways to help prepare mentally to push through a task is hard. Since taking the program, I have started developing a Wellness Program that will assist women with their own Wellness and Personal Development journey.
Getting certified through FIT CHICKS Academy has given me the stepping stone – to continue growing in this space to explore the options available for me to grow my business.To learn more about Toni visit -> www.mstoniyolanda.com or follow on Instagram: @mstoniyolanda
Jerk Steak Burrito Bowl
This Dish was inspired from my heritage and for the love of the Jerk flavor and burritos I wanted something different, full of flavor and would keep me full and satisfied. We usually hear about Jerk Chicken or Jerk Pork, and rarely hear of a “Jerk Steak”. This dish has a kick of spice and packs a punch in your mouth, so please do not feed this to your children for dinner.
This Jerk Steak Burrito Bowl has many nutritional benefits – the calories are quiet high but besides that you are getting 19 grams of protein 102 grams of carbs, 46 grams of fat and 15 grams of fiber in one serving. Getting these four things in one meal keeps your blood sugar leveled and will keep you fuller for longer giving you the nutritional requirements to maintain good health.
You can swab a few things to alter the recipe and make it healthier for you as well. Please see the notes.
PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 30 mins
TOTAL TIME: 45 mins
TOTAL SERVINGS: 2
TOTAL CALORIES PER SERVING:
MACRONUTRIENT BREAKDOWN PER SERVING (INCL FIBRE GRAMS!):
- 2 3oz steaks boneless any cut
- 2 cups romaine lettuce washed and chopped
- 1 Large Avocado Sliced
- 1/4 cup Mexican blend or mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 1/4 cup yellow fresh corn
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup Cool Running Jerk Marinade
- Marinade the steak in the cool Runnings marinade for 2-3 hours in the fridge or overnight. After the steak has marinated, heat a heavy-duty pan or griddle and coat with 1 tablespoon of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, cook the steaks for desired taste (see chart below), then remove and allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
- While the steak is cooking chop the veggies and arrange.
- After removing the steak from the pan add the sliced onions and bell peppers. Do not wash the pan as you want to keep all the flavor of the steak. Sauté the onions and peppers for 2-5 minutes or until they are tender.
- In your Bowls, place a layer of rice, a layer of beans, tomatoes, and corn, then a layer of steak and your sautéed onions/peppers, and a layer of salad, then top with the cheese, a teaspoon of sour cream and sliced avocado.
- Bon Appetit! 😊
TIPS TO ALTER IN LIEU OF A DIETARY RESTRICTION
*To Reduce your salt try a salt free marinade sauce
Swab the sour cream for any brand “Plain” Greek Yogurt
Try a vegan brand cheese
*Swap the sour cream for any brand “Plain” Greek Yogurt
TIPS TO SUB AN INGREDIENT TO ALTER THE RECIPE
*You can also make this recipe with chicken breast use the same amount of 6oz
*If you want to make it kid friendly swap the Jerk Marinade for a bbq steak marinade or a flavor of your choice
*If your on the go and want to take it with you, use a healthy tortilla
Cook time will vary – for steak readiness
Blue Rare 110-120°F – Seared on the outside, very red center, almost completely raw
Rare 125-130°F – Warm, red center with tasty surface
Medium Rare 130-140°F – Red center, followed by pink ring. Very juicy
Medium 140-150°F – Pinkish overall color with outer brow portion, juicy and tender
Medium Well 150-160°F – Mostly brown color, with little pink color inside
Well Done 160-210°F – Brown-grey color throughout, firm to touch
Thanks for sharing Toni!! You can find out more about Toni on Instagram @mstoniyolanda or visit www.mstoniyolanda.com
PS Do you want get CERTIFIED as a Fitness & Nutrition Expert? Get started TODAY on the Fitness & Nutrition Expert program! Download our program brochure here and learn how you start to create your dream life, health & career!